3 cups sliced leeks (discard dark green tips)
Potatoes – 1 1/4 pound , unpeeled, in 1/4 inch slices (try red or yukon)
Rosemary – 3 TBS chopped fresh, or 1.5 TBS dry
Gruyere Cheese – 1 1/2 cups grated
Tomatoes – 1 1/4 pound, cut into 1/4 inch slices (any type or color on hand)
Breadcrumbs – 1/2 to 3/4 cup plain panko, or whatever you have on hand
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 375. Prepare a 2 quart gratin dish with cooking spray, olive oil or butter.
2. Heat a tablespoon of Olive Oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add leeks and saute until limp and starting to brown, about 10 mins. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium saucepan cover sliced potatoes with cold water and a generous amount of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes until potatoes are barely tender. Drain well and then toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the fresh rosemary (or 1/2 TBS dry).
4. Assemble – start by spreading all the leeks on the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of tomato slices, then a sprinkle of rosemary, then a layer of potato slices, then a layer of cheese. Continue alternating until dish is full, or you are out of potatoes and tomatoes.
5. Make a mixture of breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, rosemary, cheese with a light drizzle of olive oil. Top the dish with the mixture and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the dish is well browned and juices have reduced. Allow to cool and set for at least 15 minutes before serving.