Mid-summer and the tomatoes are getting ready to turn red, but before they do enjoy this classic side dish.
2-3 Firm green Tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices, sprinkle with salt & pepper, let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Place flour, milk, eggs & bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.
3. Heat 2 TBS of olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
4. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs.
5. Fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown.
6. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed.
7. Season to taste with salt & pepper.