This is hands down one of my favorite mid-summer treats – just as the first green tomatoes are available you should also find freshly ripe local nectarines and peaches. This also works GREAT on the grill.
1 1/2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 TBS minced Shallot
1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
6 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Medium Green Tomatoes, cored and cut lengthwise into 6-8 wedges.
2 ripe large Nectarines (Peaches also work very well), each cut lengthwise, pitted & sliced into 6-8 wedges.
1 Tsp granulated Sugar
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Cups lettuces
1 Cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Freshly ground pepper
1. Make Vinaigrette – combine all ingredients until well blended, or shake briskly in a 1-pint jar & set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine tomato & nectarine wedges, sugar & salt – toss evenly to coat.
3. Heat Olive Oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
4. Add Nectarines to skillet – cook until lightly caramelized on each side
5. Add Tomatoes to skillet – cook until caramelized on each side
6. Pour some of the vinaigrette on the warm tomatoes & nectarines.
7. Toss lettuce & basil leaves with remaining vinaigrette, divide among 4 plates
8. Top lettuces w/ tomato & nectarine wedges.
9. Sprinkle with blue cheese & top with freshly ground pepper.