Ingredients (serves 6)
1 small head of cauliflower, in 1/2 inch dice (or 1 LB cauliflower and 1 LB broccoli)
1 box of Manicotti noodles (or large shells)
2 tablespoons Olive oil
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 teaspoons dried thyme
1-2 tablespoons anchovy paste
1 teaspoon dried chilies flakes
12 ounces Ricotta cheese (lowfat is fine)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, rough chop (or parsley)
2 cups Marinara
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (lowfat is fine)
1. Boil the chopped cauliflower in a large pot of salted water for 5-6 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté garlic, thyme, anchovy paste and chilies for a few minutes.
3. Lift the cooked veggies with a large strainer spoon out of the water and place directly into the garlic mixture, reserving the cooking water to make the noodles.
4. Prepare the noodles as directed on the package in the veggie water, or use a new pot of water if preferred.
5. Stir veggies and garlic together. Add 1/4 cup of cooking water if needed. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and cook for another 5 minutes to dry a bit, then use a potato masher to crush the vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper, allow to cool. Mix in 1/2 of the Ricotta, half the Parmesan, and the chopped basil.
6. Combine one cup of Marinara with vinegar and spread on the bottom of a lasagna pan or baking dish.
7. Spoon the cooled veggie mixture into the Manicotti noodles, placing them in a single layer on top of the sauce.
8. Combine remaining Marinara with remaining Ricotta and Parmesan, and spoon over top of the stuffed noodles. Then sprinkle on the Mozzarella.
9. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, until top is golden and bubbling.