As winter approaches making our favorite soup and stew recipes is like visiting with old friends. There are so many variations of this dish, feel free to add your own touches!
2 pounds Beef Brisket, in 5-6 large chunks
1/4 pound thick cut Bacon, slice into 1 inch sections
1 quart Beef Stock (suggest low sodium)
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp dry herbs of your choice – suggest Thyme, Sage & Marjoram
Fresh ground Pepper to taste
1 pound of Beets (3 large to medium), trimmed and peeled
1 large Onion, small dice
1/2 head Cabbage (suggest Savoy), shredded
2-3 Leeks, white and light green parts, small chop
2-4 TBS Wine Vinegar (red or white)
1. In a soup pot combine Brisket, Bacon, Broth, Herbs and Pepper to taste. Add enough water to cover the Brisket by one inch. Simmer covered for 3 hours, or until beef can easily broken into chunks with the back of a ladle.
2. Cut Beets in half, drizzle with in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and roast in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until fork tender. Cool and dice.
3. Lift chunks of beef from broth. Discard bay leaf. Strain soup and allow to cool so that you can skim the fat.
4. Shred beef with two forks and return to soup pot along with the skimmed broth, diced beets, onion, cabbage and leeks. Simmer together for 20 minutes.
5. Finish soup with wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Suggestion: Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh dill.