Broccoli Rabe (or Rapini) is a favorite for quick saute with garlic and served up as a side, or sometimes added to a pasta dish with sausage. But it also makes a great soup!
1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium to large Onion, small dice
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, minced
1-2 stalk celery, small dice
1 large potato, small dice
1 large bunch of Broccoli Rabe, rinsed and small dice
1 bay leaf
1 quart veggie stock (or chicken)
1 can of any white bean (such as canellini), drained and rinsed
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and potato. Saute veggies until they start to brown just a little.
2. Add rabe and stir briefly until it wilts.
3. Add bay leaf, broth and beans. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese, and crushed red pepper to taste.
Optional – we sometimes like to give this soup a quick run through with a stick blender. Feel free to add more broth or water if the soup gets too thick.