Delicata has a long narrow shape, and has very soft skin that is actually edible. It is not as sturdy as other winter squashes so don’t leave it on the counter too long! This makes a terrific vegetarian main dish, or leave off the cheese for a vegan variation. The different parts of the dish can be prepped in advance and assemble later for a quick dinner.
1 cup dry Quinoa
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Delicata Squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 1/2 pounds of mixed fresh mushrooms cut into similar size pieces
1 small red onion
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup minced parsley
1 cup grated cheese (suggest Gruyere or Mozzarella)
1. Prepare 1 cup of dry Quinoa as directed on package.
2. Whisk together oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
3. Coat inside of squash with 2-3 tablespoons thyme oil, place cut side down in a shallow baking tray
4. Toss mushrooms with remaining thyme oil in another shallow baking tray and arrange in 1 layer.
5. Roast squash and mushrooms for 20-30 minutes in a 400 degree oven until squash is fork tender and mushroom liquid has evaporated.
6. Saute onion and garlic until soft
7. Combine cooked Quinoa, mushrooms, onion, garlic and parsley. Taste and add additional seasonings as so desired.
8. Turn cooled Squash cut side up, stuff with Quinoa mixture and press on Cheese.
9. Return to oven for 10 minutes to warm it up and melt the cheese.