For those if you keeping score this recipe was inspired by our previously posted Healthy Eggplant Parmesan … but this happy accident was worth the repost. After considering some left over grilled summer squash and eggplant, several portabellas and a jar of roasted red peppers lingering the fridge the Mixed Veggie Stack was born. Pre-make the different recipe elements and assembly is a snap. Use any grillable veggie you prefer to make this tasty combo!
4 Large Portabella Mushroom Caps, stems removed (gills optional)
1 Large Summer Squash, cut into 1/2 in thick rounds
1-2 Large Tomatoes, cut into 1/2 in thick rounds
1 Small Eggplant, cut into 1/2 in thick rounds
1 Red Pepper, roasted & peeled (or use from a jar)
Fresh Mozzarella, cut into 1/2 in thick slices (or pre-shredded)
1/2 batch of Fresh Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour into a flat tray with lip
2. Coat mushrooms, squash, tomato and eggplant on both sides. Let sit for 20 mins
3. Fire up the grill and roast the veggies about 4-5 mins per side. You can also roast the veggies for 20 mins in a 400 degree oven, or on a grill pan on top of the stove.
4. Lightly oil a baking tray (or use spray oil) start building stacks of veggies.
5. Place mushroom caps (gill side up), then spoonful of sauce, then some parmesan.
6. Continue stacking with squash, red pepper slice, tomato and eggplant – placing a spoon of sauce and parmesan in between each layer.
7. Top with sauce and a slice of mozzarella.
8. Bake your tray of stacks in a 400 degree oven (or your grill) until the cheese is gooey!
9. Optional step: place the tray under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese.
10. Serve with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.