This lovely green soup features two of our favorite spring crops! We served it topped with a garnish of shaved pecorino romano cheese and fresh chopped tarragon.
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon unsalted Butter
6-8 Scallions – small chop
1 pound Fava Beans in the pods
2-3 small young potatoes – peel and small dice
4 cups veggie stock (or chicken stock if you prefer)
1 pound of young fresh spinach – wash carefully, remove very hard stems
1. Prepare fava beans: Remove and discard pods, boil for 3 mins, rinse in cold water, and then the inner shells will remove easily. You should end up with about 1 cup of beans.
2. Heat oil and butter, add scallion and potato, saute for 3-4 mins
3. Add stock and beans, bring to a boil then cover and simmer until beans soften, 20 mins.
4. Add Spinach and simmer for 2-3 mins until it just wilts.
5. Puree with a handheld stick blender (or in batches in your blender or food processor).
6. Add water or additional stock to thin to your desired consistency, season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
7. Reheat briefly and serve promptly with the garnish of your choice.