This light, spring soup uses potato to give it a slightly creamy consistency and can be served hot or chilled. Since there is no dairy in the soup it will freeze well.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 pound Asparagus – cut into 1 inch pieces, reserve tips and woody stems seperately.
2 Tbs Olive Oil
Leeks – 1 cup of 1 inch slices (white and light green part)
Shallot – 1/2 cup, small dice
Garlic – 1 large clove, minced
4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock if preferred)
Potato – 1/2 pound, peeled and diced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Bring stock and woody stems to a boil, cover and simmer 20 mins. Discard stems.
2. Add Asparagus tips to boiling stock until they are just cooked. Remove and reserve tips for garnish.
3. In a small pan saute leeks, shallot and garlic in oil until soft, then add to stock.
4. Add Asparagus stalks and Potato to stock, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Puree soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings, add water if a thinner consistency is prefered.
7. Serve with a garnish of Asparagus tips, parmesan and chives.
* Note – if you are using storebought veggie stock we suggest one with a light flavor and color. A darker stock will give the soup a brownish color.