We enjoyed this hearty miso soup over the weekend. The next day we reheated the soup for lunch, stirring in cooked rice noodles and topping it with skewers of cooked shrimp for a delicious one-bowl meal!
Corn – 3-4 ears, cut kernels from cob, reserve cobs
Onion – 1 medium, mince
Ginger – 2 inch piece, peel and mince
Vegetable Oil – 2 Tbs
Flour – 2 Tbs
Stock (Chicken or Vegetable) – 1 quart
Water – 2 cups
Miso Paste – 1/4 cup, or to taste
Soy Sauce – 2 Tbs
Sesame Oil – 1 Tbs
Fish Sauce – 1 Tbs (optional)
Sugar – 1 Tbs (only add if using the Fish Sauce)
Red Pepper Flakes – a pinch (optional)
Tofu – 1 package, cubed
2-3 cups of the green Vegetable of your choice (bok choi, snap peas, broccoli, etc)
1. In a large soup pot saute onion and ginger in the oil, until onion softens. Add flour and cook for a few minutes while stirring continuously.
2. Add stock, water, miso, soy, sesame oil, fish sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and corn cobs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20 mins.
3. Remove cobs and taste broth, adjusting seasonings as preferred.
4. Add corn kernels, tofu and green vegetable. Cook until corn and vegetable are just cooked through but not mushy.
5. Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh sliced scallions, cilantro and/or parsley.