Looking for a cool option on a hot summer day? Without the dairy of most creamed corn chowders it freezes very well for future use.
Corn – 6 ears, cut kernels from cob, reserve cobs
Onion – 1 large, rough chop
Broth (vegetable or chicken) – 1 quart
Garlic – 1 large clove, smash
Bay Leaf – 1 leaf
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper – to taste
1. Combine corn cobs, onion, broth, garlic bay leaf and seasonings in a large soup pot.
2. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove bay leaf and cobs, taste and adjust seasoning, add corn kernels and simmer for another 5 minutes until kernels are crisp tender.
4. Using a stick blender puree the soup in the pot, or use a blender or food processor.
5. If preferred strain the soup to remove any solids, and chill.
6. Serve with a garnish of chives, or herbs of your choice.