Squash Blossoms are a fleeting mid-summer delicacy, highly prized by chefs everywhere. This recipe appeared in Saveur Magazine (5/11 issue) in the article Mexico Feeds Me.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 Tbs canola oil
2 Scallions, both white and green parts, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 Jalapeño, seed and mince
2 Summer Squash or Zucchini, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
1 ripe tomato, cored, minced
2 tbsp. minced fresh epazote (available at the farm)
20 squash blossoms, stemmed (available at the farm)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Sauté onion in the oil until soft. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook for a minute.
2. Add squash and cook covered and stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomato, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Remove skillet from heat, and stir in epazote, squash blossoms, salt, and pepper; let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
5. Serve it, if you like, with warm corn tortillas.