CSA Member Helen wanted to share these five different ways to try beets. Thanks Helen!
1. As a spread for crostini: PUREE roasted beets and stir into softened goat cheese; season with salt and pepper. Serve spread with toasted baguette slices. (Roasting beets: scrub beets, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in a 350 oven for 40-50 mins)
2. For a crunchy salad: TOSS shaved raw beets, fennel, celery, artichoke hearts, and apples with a Sherry wine vinaigrette.
3. As an omelet filling: WILT beet greens in olive oil and minced garlic; add to an omelet along with crumbled feta cheese.
4. For beet fries: Lightly DUST matchstick-size strips of raw beets with cornstarch. Heat oil to 340°F and fry beets until crisp outside and tender inside.
5. On sandwiches: ADD thinly sliced roasted beets to beef or vegetable panini.