Chef Heather made this quick and surprising salad at a recent cooking demo at the farm.
Whole heads of Rogowski Farm Red and/or Green Romain Lettuce, or Romaine Hearts.
Olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper
Herbs to garnish
1. Slice the lettuce in half the long way, keeping the core intact. If the head is very large you might slice the head in quarters the long way. Be sure each section has a section of core intact.
2. Immerse the lettuce sections in cold water for a few minutes to clean out any dirt. And then allow to drain. Handle gently so that the leaves do not fall away from the core.
3. In a large bowl gently toss the lettuce sections with olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Grill the lettuce sections over a medium grill about 45 seconds, and up to 1 minute per side.
5. Remove from heat, and chop sections crosswise. Toss with dressing (see suggested dressing below) and garnish with any herb you have on hand (parsley, basil, lemon thyme, etc.)
Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette: (whisk all ingredients below together)
4 Tbs – Fresh Lemon Juice
4 Tbs – Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp – Dijon Mustard
2 Scallions, sliced thin or minced
Salt and Pepper to taste