There’s nothing like fresh picked Asparagus in the springtime. I leave it in a glass on my counter and nibble on it raw throughout the day. This tasty treat makes an impressive looking appetizer or dinner side dish.
1 sheet of Puff Pastry, defrosted
4-6 ounces grated cheese (try Jack, Mozzarella, or Gruyere)
Subtantial fistful of Asparagus – try to use similar diameter and length, if it’s very thick you should slice it in half the long way.
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Roll out pastry dough evenly on a floured board or counter
2. Score the dough about 1 inch to create a frame, and then “dock” (or pierce with a fork) the inner part of the dough.
3. Place on a baking tray and bake about 15 mins in a 400 degree oven, or until golden.
4. Remove dough from oven and spread a thin layer of cheese on the inner part.
5. Arrange the Asparagus over the cheese. You can leave them whole, and alternate the ends with the tips. I prefer to chop into even 2-inch lengths and alternate them to look like a checkerboard, this also makes it easier for guests to pick up and eat.
6. Brush all over with Olive oil, season to taste.
7. Return to the oven for another 20 mins, or until Asparagus is tender.
Slice into pieces and serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs (try parsley, chives or thyme) and/or parmesan cheese.