This recipe was shared by our friend Ronda Falkena, a frequent visitor to the Rogowski Farm. It’s a great mash of favorite winter root veggies, with many variations and swaps available. Just use your imagination!
Ingredients: (6 generous servings)
1/2 pound Rutabaga
1/2 pound Potato
1/2 pound Turnip
Salt to taste
White Pepper to taste
1. Peel and cube the vegetables, keep the cube sizes similar to help keep the cooking time similar.
2. Place the Rutabaga in a pot and cover with plenty of cold water and salt the water.
3. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
4. Add in the Potato and Turnip, cooking for another 15 minutes – or until all the veggies are fork tender but not falling apart.
5. Pour off the water, drain the veggies well and then return to the pot.
6. Add your favorite mashed potato ingredients to taste – such as milk, half and half, buttermilk, or butter.
7. Mash and add white pepper.
8. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.
9. Serve with your favorite garnish … sliced scallions, minced parsley, roasted and mashed garlic, grated cheddar cheese, parmesan, etc.