Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, small dice
1 large parsnip, small dice (or use carrot or leek)
3/4 pound trimmed Celery Stalks, sliced thin to prevent stringiness
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 pound of potato, peeled & small dice
1 Bay leaf
1 tablespoon of finely chopped herbs to taste (try thyme or rosemary)
4 cups stock (chicken or veggie).
Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a soup pot.
2. Saute onion, parsnip, celery and garlic on low heat until tender (about 10 min). Do not caramelize.
3. Add the potatoes, bay leaf, herbs and stock.
4. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender.
5. Remove from heat, take out bay leaf, puree soup with an immersion blender (or food processor, or regular blender).
6. Add more broth or water if the soup is too thick, reheat and taste for seasonings.
7. Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions, thinly sliced celery and a drizzle of walnut oil.