Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 1/2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes, peeled, chop in a 1 inch dice
1/2 pound of potato, peeled, chop in a 1 inch dice
Juice of one lemon
1/4 pound of bacon, rough chop (optional, see vegetarian option below)
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups stock – veggie or chicken as you prefer
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Soak the veggies in cold water and lemon juice for at least 5 minutes.
2. Heat stock in a small pot on the side.
3. Render the bacon in a soup pot over medium heat, remove bacon and reserve.
4. Sauté shallot and garlic to in bacon fat until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Drain veggies and rinse well. Add to soup pot, sauté another 5 minutes.
6. Add wine, cooking it down until nearly evaporated.
7. Add stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. The veggies should be fork tender, but not falling apart.
8. Purée the soup using an immersion blender.
9. Add cream and reheat, taste and adjust seasonings
Garnish Options: Freshly cracked pepper, minced scallions or chives, bacon bits, sautéed mushrooms, freshly grated nutmeg.
Vegetarian Option: Skip step 3, sauté shallot and garlic in olive oil and flavor it with smoked paprika.