We thought those mini pumpkins were only decorative, but it turns out that they make an adorable side dish! Ingredients listed are per one serving, multiply the amount of each ingredient by the number of dinner guests. One mini pumpkin per person should be sufficient.
1 Munchkin Pumpkin
1/2 Tablespoon butter
1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
1. Using a small paring knife, carve around the stem of the pumpkin to make a small lid.
2. Using a teaspoon or a melon baller, pull out the seeds and stringy membrane of the pumpkin cavity.
3. Combine all of the remaining ingredients inside the mini pumpkin
4. Put the cap back on the pumpkin and arrange in roasting pan or pyrex dish
5. Add about 1/2 inch of water to the pan
6. Bake in a 400 degree oven until the pumpkins are fork tender – about 30-40 minutes.
Alternate suggestion: Prepare a savory-sweet stuffing with wild rice, cranberries and walnuts. Insert warm stuffing into the prepared mini pumkpkins just prior to serving.