Serves 2-4 people, depending on the size of the squash
1 Acorn Squash
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Onion, small dice
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/2 pound Sweet Italian Sausage, casing removed (Vegetarian Option: Morningstar Farms Meal Starter – found in your grocer’s freezer)
1 bunch Swiss Chard – tough ribs removed, medium chop (or use any other type of cooking green you prefer)
1 cup bread crumbs (plain or flavored)
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley, or other herbs
Salt & Pepper to taste.
1. Split squash in half from top to bottom, remove seeds, brush with Olive Oil.
2. Place halves cut-side down on a baking pan, and roast in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
3. While squash roasts heat olive in a large saute pan, add garlic and onion, cooking until golden brown.
4. Add sausage and stir to crumble until cooked, then add swiss chard and saute until wilted.
5. Remove sausage mixture from heat. Add 1/2 the bread crumbs, all of the parmesan cheese and parsley. Combine and season to taste.
6. Stuff each squash cavity with the sausage mixture, and top with the remaining bread crumbs.
7. Return to oven for another 15 minutes, or until bread crumbs start to brown.
[Alternate Vegetarian Option – instead of sausage create a stuffing using Quinoa and Zuchini)