This is an easy and low fat version of a favorite dish.
Any type of eggplant, make 1/2 inch-thick slices. For narrow eggplants cut on the diagonal.
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh tomato sauce (see recipe just below)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Mozzarella, fresh if you have it
Basil leaves for garnish (optional)
Lightly toasted bread crumbs for garnish (optional)
1. Spread out Eggplant slices on a tray, drizzle liberally with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn slices over and repeat. Let sit for a few minutes to marinate.
2. Fire up your barbeque and grill the eggplant for about 3-4 minutes per side. You can also use a grill pan on the stove.
3. Remove Eggplant from grill and you may remove the skin at this point if you so desire.
4. Oil a baking sheet lay down the largest slices of eggplant.
5. Top each slice with a 1 or 2 spoons of the Tomato Sauce, and a generous sprinkle of Parmesan
6. Then stack another slice of eggplant, and top with sauce and parmesan
7. Create stacks that are 2-3 slices high, and cap off each with a slice of mozzarella.
8. Pop into the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the mozzarella melts.
9. Serve hot with your favorite garnishes, such as crushed red pepper or fresh herbs.
Fresh Tomato Sauce
4-6 Tbs Extra-virgin olive oil, add as needed.
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1/2 Tbs dried
1 small carrot, grated
8-10 Heirloom Tomatoes, rough chopped or crush by hand into the pot (supplement with canned crushed tomato if necessary)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Cook onion and garlic 8-10 minutes, or until soft
2. Add thyme and carrot, cook 5 minutes more.
3. Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, then partially cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Remove Thyme sticks (leaves will have fallen into the sauce) and season to taste