Serves 6-8 people. This hearty stew can be made with any type of cooking greens and smoke-flavored protein that you have on hand. This stew freezes well – make plenty and freeze some for the cold days to come.
3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, large dice.
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Pounds of washed & rough chopped cooking greens, you can also use the stems if you wish. Try any combination of Collard Greens, Kale, Spicy Mustard Greens, Bok Choi, Tat Tsoi, Cabbage, Turnip Greens, Beet Greens, Kolrabi Greens, etc.
1 Kielbasa Sausage, large dice – or use smoked turkey wings, or a smoke-flavored seitan
4 Cups of Stock – your choice … veggie, chicken or beef
1 Bay Leaf
A pinch of Cayenne Pepper, optional
1 teaspoon Mustard Seed
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
2 teaspoon dried Sage
Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot. Saute onion and garlic until tender
2. Add stems first and then the greens bit by bit, stirring until wilted
3. Add the sausage, stock, bay leaf, cayenne and herbs.
4. Taste for seasoning and let simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on.
5. Taste again and add just enough salt to enhance flavors.
1. Serve over the grain of your choice (barley, brown or white rice, etc.) with a side of steamed diced potatoes or Pierogi.
2. Thin a little bit with added water or broth, and serve as a soup. Garnish with parsley.