This recipe was created by Cheryl for those who would like to try tomatillos without the cilantro and chilies that usually go with them. If you prefer the traditional Mexican flavors add some chilies to the onions and garnish with a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro.
2 pounds grass fed beef
2 medium onions (1 red 1 yellow) chopped in about ¼” pieces
3 pounds tomatillos (about 6 – 8 large ones)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ to 1 cup sour cream
½ cup mushrooms (optional)
1. Place Tomatillos in a bowl of cold water let soak for about 1 minute, the peel will pop right off and the sticky residue will rinse away.
2. Slice each tomatillo into about 6 wedges.
3. Saute onions in pan until golden,
4. Add beef, cooking until just brown and season with salt.
5. Layer beef, tomatillos, mushrooms in 8 x 12 pan.
6. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour.
8. Let rest for about 10 minutes then enjoy.