Artichoke Broth Ingredients
Peelings from 1 pound Artichokes
1 whole star anise
10 coriander seeds
10 whole peppercorns
½ cinnamon stick
1 inch of ginger, sliced into ¼ thick coins
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large white onion, rough chop
1 leek (white & light green parts), rough chop
4 cloves garlic, rough chop
2 celery stalks, rough chop
1 pound artichokes, sliced into ¼ thick coins
4 cups vegetable stock
1 small pear (bosc suggested), or apple
1. Scrub the artichokes well and peel them, retaining the peels for the broth
2. Combine all Broth ingredients in a small pot, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Collect the broth by draining it well through a fine mesh sieve, and pressing to get out all the liquid. About two cups of broth should be left.
4. In a large soup pot heat oil and butter. Add onion, leek, shallot, garlic and celery. Sauté until onions soften, do not allow browning. Add artichokes and sauté for another few minutes.
5. Add artichoke broth to soup pot, and enough additional vegetable stock to just cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until artichokes are easily pierced with a fork-tender.
6. Puree soup with a stick blender in the pot, or in batches in a regular blender. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding water to thin soup if desired.
7. Serve soup with a garnish of small diced pear (or apple) and a few drops of truffle oil.